Paul Nauert, PE
Education: BS Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri – Rolla, 1978 Summa cum Laude MS Electrical Engineering-Power Option, Purdue University, 1980 Summa cum Laude.
Academic Experience: Washington University/ UMSL Electrical Engineering, Adjunct Professor, January 2008-present, part time. Taught senior design project 6 times, electric networks 3 times, energy alternatives 3 times, and electric energy lab once; also developed the energy alternatives course. Students consistently rate performance above department and school average in each of the 34 dimensions of the course evaluation. Interviewed by ABET evaluator regarding senior design project course content.
Missouri University of Science & Technology Electrical Engineering, Lecturer / Adjunct Professor, August 2014-present, part time. Taught Power System Protection twice.
Non-Academic Experience: Ameren Services/Union Electric full time 1980 - present. Paul has held various engineering positions related to the planning, design, protection and operation of high-voltage generation, transmission, substations, and distribution system. Ameren serves 2.4 million electric customers in Missouri and Illinois across a 64,000 sq. mi. territory and over 18,000 MW peak load.
2012-present Principal Engineer – Substation Maintenance & Relay Engineering
Corporate Subject Matter Expert (SME) on national Protective Relay & Control (PRC) standards. Advise all affected business units, and lead related teams. Represent Ameren regarding power system protection national and regional reliability standards; coordinate and document internal compliance activities, review and comment on NERC and SERC standards.
2008-2012 Consulting Engineer – System Protection
Represent Ameren regarding power system protection national and regional reliability standards; coordinate and document internal compliance activities, review and comment on NERC and SERC standards. Coordinate transmission system conceptual planning and design job scope definition. Design protection schemes, perform coordination studies, specify devices, apply surge arresters, calculate and issue protective relay settings for transmission and generation projects. Monitor performance, analyze and document outages.
2000-2007 Manager of T&D Design Managed multi-disciplinary department with thirteen groups, consisting of 150 drafting, document control, and engineering personnel. The department’s responsibilities included transmission line, transmission and distribution substation design, their associated civil engineering, drafting, and system protection support, as well as electric distribution standards. The T&D Design department served all four Ameren operating companies and completed about 350 capital projects worth over $100 million annually.
1996-1999 Supervising Engineer Transmission Service Supervised engineers who facilitated FERC mandated open access to Ameren’s transmission system. Paul directed efforts to optimize transmission system usage with proper balance of reliability and commerce while complying with FERC regulations and NERC policies. Led this 24X7 operation in our transmission control center and grew the business from $16 million to over $100 million annual revenue.
1984-1996 Engineer/Senior Engineer/Staff Engineer – Protective Relay Engineering
Responsible for designing means of protecting the major capital components of an electric power system. Design schemes to protect large generators, transformers, transmission lines, transmission & distribution substations, and motors. Perform special studies in surge protection, transformer thermal performance, and forensic analyses.
1980-1984 Assistant Engineer/Engineer – Transmission System Planning Paul performed transmission system analysis, generator stability, and transformer thermal rating studies.
Professional Registration Professional Engineer in Illinois and Missouri
Professional Organzations: IEEE Senior Member
Electric Board of Missouri and Illinois
Honors and Awards
- Ameren President’s Performance Leadership Award – 2011 recipient
- Nominated again in 2014
- IEEE Power & Energy Society, St. Louis Chapter – Outstanding Engineer 2003
- Missouri University of Science & Technology – Academy of Electrical & Computer Engineers, inducted 2010
- FOCUS St. Louis ‘What’s Right with the Region’ Award for St. Louis Regional Engineering Academy work, 2010
- SERC Protection & Control Subcommittee 2008-on; Chair 2012-13 Vice-chair 2011-2012
- Transmission Forum – System Protection Practice Group 2010-on
- Volunteer at Friends of Father Dickson Cemetery (historically black) 2013-14
- Ecumenical Catholic Communion 2010 Synod – Host Committee
- IEEE Power Engineering Society – St. Louis Chapter Vice Chair 2003-2008
- St. Louis Regional Engineering Academy 2004 –2010
- Georgia Tech-National Electric Energy Testing, Research, & Application Center (NEETRAC)- Managing Board 2005-2008
- AEIC Electric Power Apparatus Committee 2000-2007
- Project Lead The Way, Missouri State Industry advisor 2006
- UMR Corporate Development Council 2002-2005
- NERC Transmission Subcommittee 2001-02
Publications and Presentations
- NERC Overview and Reliability Standard Impacts on Substation Design on May 8, 2014.
- Midwest Energy Association 12th Annual Conference – presenting NERC Protective Relay & Control Standards for Distribution Providers on May 1, 2014.
- Ameren Protection Technician training – taught 5 sessions in each of 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015: Power System Overview, Directional Comparison Blocking, Permissive Overreach Transfer Trip, Direct Transfer Trip and Generator Protection.
- Midwest Energy Association 12th Annual Conference – presented NERC PRC-005-2 Standard Implementation on May 5, 2011.
- SERC PCS Analysis of PRC-004-1 Misoperations Data 2004-2008 – led team that analyzed and composed report, 2010.
- Directed development, and taught portions of a Symmetrical Components short course for about 45 Ameren engineers in 2009.
- Presented Alternative Energy Sources to the UMSL Society of Future Engineers in 2009.
- Co-developed High Voltage Engineering 3 hour graduate level course with Missouri U of Science & Technology Prof Crow, & facilitated course delivery for 16 Ameren engineers in 2008. In 2012, hosted that semester’s class for one day at Ameren HV testing and substation facilities.
- Developed program and hosted Parkway School District science teachers at Ameren in 2012.
- Presented Electric Power Engineering career path to the UMSL Society of Future Engineers in 2012 and twice in 2013.
Professional Development Activities: Classes, Seminars, and Tours as follows
- Transformer Design and Manufacturing – 2015
- Power Transformer Production, Construction and Testing Training – 2014
- SF6 Breaker Fundamentals - 2014
- Beckwith Fast Motor Bus Transfer system – 2014
- SERC PRC-005-2 Protection System Maintenance – 2014
- MLK Distribution Automation – 2014
- Renewable Energy Summit EBMI - 2013
- Power Line Carrier Design, Operation & Troubleshooting - 2013
- HV Breaker Health Diagnostics using SEL Digital Relays - 2013
- The Role and Applications of Capacitors - 2013
- Utility Battery Applications – 2013
- Tour of 20MW Landfill bio-Gas Renewable Energy Generation Facility - 2012
- Automation at new Central Substation – 2012
- Substation RTU Programming – 2012
- Ameren’s 34/12kV Transformer Short Circuit Test Facility – 2012
- Prairie State Generating Station Tour (new 1600MW coal fired plant) - 2012
- High Voltage SF6 Circuit Breaker Performance – 2011
- Trip Check Techniques for High Voltage Substations – 2011
- Photovoltaic Large Power Projects by Burns & McDonnell - 2011
- Cooper Bussmann High Current Test Lab Tour - 2011
- Energy Efficiency Workshop - 2010
- What’s new in LEEDv3? - 2010
- EBMI Renewable Energy Summit – 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Total Lightning Protection, a technical review and methods of protection – 2010
- Analysis of the recovery of Major Ice Storm in Jan. 2009 in Southeast Missouri – 2010
- Distribution Automation Smart Grid in Dorsett Area – 2010
- Landfill Gas to Electricity – 2010 (personal site tour 2011, 2012)
- Energy Storage by Dr. Imre Gyuk, and tour of Taum Sauk Pumped Hydro Storage – 2009
- Substation SCADA and Communication Technology – 2009
- Renewable Energy Technologies by Dr. Saifur Rahman - 2008